Saturday, September 10, 2022 Continued
A New Twist on an Old Problem: Using Genetic Disorders to Study Myopia - Jefferson Doyle, MD, PhD, MHS, Wilmer Eye Institute
- Understand the range of genetic disorders in which high myopia can develop.
- Appreciate the mechanisms that may drive pathological eye growth in these clinical conditions.
- Learn about recent therapeutic insights into combating myopic eye growth in a subset of these disorders.
Pediatric Anesthesia and Ophthalmic Surgery: Anxiety and Post-Operative Delirium - Christina Giblin, DO, Spectrum Healthcare Partners
- Describe risk factors associated with increased perioperative anxiety in pediatric patients.
- Discuss interventions to mitigate preoperative anxiety in children.
- Identify the presentation of emergence delirium and strategies for treatment.
Pro/Con Debate: MAC vs General Anesthesia for Retina Surgery - Elaine Liew, MD, UCLA Medical Center
- Describe when it is appropriate to select MAC therapies.
- Describe when it is appropriate to select general anesthesia therapies.
Diagnosing and Treating Acute MI at the Ambulatory Surgical Center - Mark Phillips, MD, FASA, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Diagnose acute MI events including cardia events.
- Manage and treat patients who present with acute MI events.
Lecture and Hands-On Workshop | Orbital Anatomy, Sub-Tenon Blocks & Orbital Blocks
Block Workshop - Howard Palte, MBChB, FCA, University of Miami
- Describe anatomy and function Tenon capsule
- List indications for sub-Tenon anesthesia
- Comment on limitations and complications of sub-Tenon blocks
Sunday, September 11, 2022
OAS Member Business Meeting
Anticoagulation Prior to Ophthalmic Surgery (TBA) - Timmy Nguyen, MD, Cleveland Clinic Florida
- Understand the use of anticoagulant therapy in patients presenting for ophthalmic surgery.
- Describe the comorbidities and risk profiles that impact ophthalmic surgery.
- Manage treatment, including the decision to use or discontinue use, for patients undergoing anticoagulation therapy.
Anterior Segment (iStent, hydrus for cataract surgeries) - Yassine J Daoud, MD, FaCS, Johns Hopkins Medicine
Describe cataract surgery anesthesia requirements
Differentiate glaucoma patients
Understand minimally invasive cataract surgeries and treatment strategies
MKO Melt: Implementation Into Practice - Chris Bender, DNAP, CRNA, Vance Thompson Vision
Identify Patient selection for the MKO Melt
Understand dosing of the Melt
Describe advantages / disadvantages of the MKO Melt
International Prospective on Anesthesia Care - Iosifina Giannakikou, MD
Recognize differences between US and EU in anesthesia manpower
Recognize differences between US and EU in patients characteristics and perceptions
Recognize differences between US and EU in anesthesia techniques
Anesthesia in Adjustable Strabismus Surgery - Edward Kuwera, MD, Johns Hopkins University of Medicine
Describe strabismus surgery and understand which extraocular muscles are most and least adjustable.
Understand anesthetic care for children undergoing a post-operative adjustment.
Know what anesthetic medications to avoid in adjustable strabismus surgery.
When Your Patient Says I Have an Iodine Allergy - William G Myers, MD, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Learn to identify the types of iodine reactions
Understand when an iodine reaction to IVP dye is relevant
Understand the chemistry of povidone iodine action
Ophthalmologists & Anesthesiologists: What Each Should Know About the Other - Pete Spitellie, MD, JJM Medical
- Compare and contrast best practices as understood by ophthalmologists and anesthesiologists.